Thursday, September 4, 2008

Who is a scientist?








I started this year in my 2nd grade science classes by posing this question: Who is a scientist? Each child had about 10 minutes to draw a sketch of how they pictured a scientist, right down to the clothing and special tools. As you can see, most children drew pictures of "scientists" in labcoats, mixing chemicals; and 9 times out of 10, the scientists drawn were male- Yikes! Yes, there are male chemists out there, but I hoped to dispel the theory that all scientists must wear a labcoat or be a boy.

Each child opened their journals on Day 2 and numbered 1-8 lengthwise. I showed a series of 8 photos of different people (please see below for an upload of the presentation). The students were asked to identify whether YES, (Y) the person(s) was a scientist, or NO (N), the person(s) was not a scientist.

I will set up the presentation shortly so you can take the "pop quiz", too!

1 comment:

Christian's Mom said...

I love the blogs! It helps answer the question "so what did you do today? " This is better than hearing about lunch & recess. Keep up the good work!!