Thursday, January 29, 2009

I have a story to tell you.

A young boy entered Calvert last year: quiet, shy and very reserved. His initial transition into school was tough. During morning carpool twice weekly, I would open the car door with a beaming smile and warm greeting. He would look back at me, then grab his bag without a single word back. His parents begged him to say hello, to say thank you for the greeting, or to say anything! I knew it would take him time, and I persisted. Time passed.

Mid-year arrived. He was still quiet and reserved with teachers, but had begun to open up to a group of friends in his class. Every morning we would pass, I'd say, "Good morning!" Still nothing. The boy looked away, shy and intimidated. He was still finding his voice.

I mentioned to some colleagues that I wondered when the day would come that this little boy would find his voice and would say hello. They wondered, too.

The year ended.

A new year began, with high hopes and expectations. I learned I would be teaching this boy in one of my classes- I was very excited!! Maybe now we would open up! The holidays have come and gone, and now we are in the month of January.

Last week, during afternoon dismissal, I opened up the car door for this boy (just like many other days before). I had begun to think that maybe he was just shy and he would never open up to me. His backpack was on and he jumped in the car. "Have a good afternoon!" I yelled , masking myself from the cold. I had just begun to push the door shut, when his hand stopped me. Just then, the boy turned around.

"Have a great afternoon, Mrs. Armstrong!"

To others, this may have seemed like a normal salutation- but to me, it was everything.

Isn't this what it's all about?

No comments: