Thursday, September 29, 2011

Mrs. Armstrong's Reading Class Skypes South Korea!!

On Wednesday morning my reading class and I Skyped South Korea! My brother-in-law, Derek, travels for work frequently and we often Skype him while abroad. Last week the students grew familiar with proper Skype etiquette by first Skyping Mrs. DeLorbe's class next door. They learned to look in the camera when asking a question and to speak clearly, as the connection can be slow at times.

Later on in the week, the readers prepared questions for Derek and practiced a greeting, such as, "Hello, Derek! My name is ___. My question is ___."

The students learned that when it is 9:00am in Maryland, it is 10:00pm in South Korea- that's a 13 hour time difference! 
The students enjoyed talking with Derek, and look forward to Skyping a first grade class in Switzerland on Friday. Nice job, readers!

1 comment:

Mr Gilbert & Frau Paradissi said...

Thanks for the mention. I hope we can continue and improve on our Skype skills.
I learned a lot already how to improve for next time.
Thanks, Mr Gilbert
Grade 2 SIS