Friday, October 23, 2009

Penpals!


There was mail in our mailbox yesterday! At first we thought it was from the mystery messenger, but later we learned it was from our new PENPALS! We talked about the word penpal, and learned it is actually composed of 2 separate words- pen and pal. By separating these two words, we figured out a penpal is a special friend who writes to you, and you can write them back!
Our pen pals are from Leithwalk Elementary School in Baltimore City. They are in the 3rd grade in Mr. Bryden's class. Our pen pals gave us clues about what they were going to be for Halloween. For example, one letter reads:

"Dear Friend,
I hope you are having a great school year! Who is your best friend? I hope you are not getting into trouble! Here are clues to my costume:
1. I have a red hood.
2. I live in the woods.
3. I have a basket with food.
4. I met a wolf.
5. I have a dress.
6. My grandmother is sick.
7. I am going to give her the basket.
I hope you guess who I am! I hope you have a great school year.
Your future penpal,
(Friend from Leithwalk Elementary)"

We began writing our penpals a letter. In the letter we will include our guess about who they will be for Halloween. We were thrilled to make these new friends!

No comments: