Monday, February 14, 2011

Tomie dePaola writes to 6D!

Our November/December Author of the Month in 6D was Tomie dePaola, and we celebrated our favorite stories by drawing pictures for Tomie accompanied by a handwritten note. The letters were recently mailed to New Hampshire...and the waiting began...

Then- alas! I checked the mail this afternoon and was excited when I found a letter from Tomie himself!

I quickly tore open the soft envelope to discover a letter and postcards.


The letter reads:

"Dear Friends in the 6D Kindergarten Class,
Thank you for the great letters and drawings. I'm glad that you like my books.

I featured one of the drawings on the blog under today's date. (Click here to read his post!)

My favorite book of my own is NANA UPSTAIRS & NANA DOWNSTAIRS. My newest books are STREGA NONA'S HARVEST, MY MOTHER IS SO SMART, and LET THE WHOLE EARTH SING PRAISE. STREGA NONA's GIFT will be published in the fall.
Did you hear that I just won the Laura Ingalls Wilder Award from the American Library Association? I'm very excited!

We've been getting lots of snow this winter in New Hampshire. It's a winter wonderland!

I hope you have a Happy Valentine's Day!

Sincerely,
Tomie"

Can you believe Tomie actually wrote us back?! And he featured a fellow 6D student's artwork on his blog! How exciting!! Thank you, Tomie! We look forward to reading more of your favorite books:)

No comments: