Monday, November 7, 2011

The Birds, The Bees, and Our ABC's

Where have I been, you ask?



As you can tell, I have not been by my computer.
I have been exploring nature on Calvert's campus with Mrs. Miles readers.

A few weeks ago our classes gathered together in search of five organic items on a nature walk to Molly's Garden and Castalia.


Some of us collected these items in ziploc bags or small plastic cups.

Upon returning to the classroom the students used their phonics skills to list these items in word form.  Students were encouraged to sound out the words independently, without teacher-support.

The students then organized these words in ABC order.  They glued the words next to each item found on their nature walk.  I was very pleased with the results- take a peak!


Again, I did not assist students with the spelling.  Aren't you amazed?

No comments: