Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Thank you, Calvert!

My Sixth Age Reading class recently finished reading a story titled Try Your Best, about a coach who helps his team try their best through motivation and praise.  Upon reading, the students were asked to brainstorm a list of Calvert teachers who have helped them try their best, along with reasons why these Calvert people are so special.

Students drafted a "rough" or first draft, where they were encouraged to phonetically sound out words independently or utilize their sight word books.  Students realized that mistakes are often made on first drafts (I'd like to think that showing my students a sample rough draft paper of my own was helpful).

Second, or final drafts, were written and then hand-delivered and read to these Calvert teachers this morning. Students were beaming afterwards! Thank you to my students for your hard work!







No comments: